Week 2: Getting into the groove

 

This week turned out to be a good one! There were no accidental slip-ups or half-eaten chicken salads and I’ve started expanding my usual cooking expertise.  Included in this post is a super unappealing picture of the vegetable quiche I made this weekend, and I promise it was better than it looks since I ate 75% of it before I took a picture—whoops!  Although, it was a bit of a cheat since it was a crustless quiche, but I know my limits at making pie crusts.  I am definitely feeling more on track and encouraged now that we are starting to get a couple weeks in to forming a new routine.  The one obstacle I faced this week was when Hailey and I ventured to the fair on Saturday night and we realized how tough it would be to not eat meat at the fair, but luckily carbs and cheese held me over (as usual).  

 

From page 22 of our Hassekkus (2011) text, Yerxa’s expanded definition of occupation seemed to fit my chosen occupation of a new type of diet/health lifestyle best. She defined it as, “engagement in self-initiated, self-directed, adaptive, purposeful, culturally relevant organized activity” (CAOT, p. 587).  I don’t necessarily think any other definitions would have excluded this as an occupation, Yerxa’s wording just seems more inclusive and broader than the others.

 

Finally, as far as how my new occupation of a pescatarian lifestyle fits into Wilcox’s model of “doing + being, becoming, belonging = survival and health”, I think it actually relates pretty well.  I am “doing” as I perform the shopping and cooking tasks, and I am definitely “becoming” healthier.  “Being” was a little harder to pinpoint, but I think it could be that I am being more intentional about what I put in my body.  As for belonging, I have found some awesome Instagram and Pinterest accounts run by pescatarians and they have lots of tips and recipes for the community of non-meat eaters such as myself.

Comments

  1. Libby,
    I like a good quiche. Yours looks very good! How do you resist the urge of buying junk foods at the store? I know that when I want to stop eating a food that has been in my life for years, it is hard. What kind of grasp did you use to crack your eggs with? Also, was it the same type of grasp you used to hold the spatula?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glen, this question really made me think and I had to go hold an egg and a spatula to see! It turns out I use a different grasp for the egg, and I think it's kind of a unique grasp that isn't used for much else.

      Delete
  2. Hey Libby!

    I disagree; that quiche looks awesome! It's really cool that your occupation keeps you engaged pretty consistently; my occupation is tap dancing which I could do every day or once a week, but eating using a pescatarian diet is something that applies to you at least multiple times a day. Way to go!

    As far as "being" applies to your occupation; do you think that eating this way is influencing how you define yourself? Like, do you feel like you would describe yourself differently to someone because of changing your diet? Maybe just your confidence or how reliable you see yourself for doing something challenging, or maybe none of that has happened, but I think there are ways you could "be" that don't have to be huge life changes. Anyway, great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spencer,
      I do think that my personal definition of myself is changing a little, especially if I continue this way of life after the assignment ends. I think if it is something that I would say when I am introducing myself or getting to know some one as trait or quality about me, then yeah, I think it it applies to the being of occupation.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 12: Fats & The Future

Week 10: Nachos & Nibbles