Week 4: Meat & Memories


    
Okay, I caved this week.  I have been steadfastly loyal to my animal comrades, but when I saw a massive sausage breakfast burrito, the withdrawals hit and I think I blacked out and just ordered it. All dramatics aside though, it was a nice cheat meal and I am still motivated to stay strong on my no-meat mission.  I didn't have any good food or cooking pictures from this week, so instead I wanted to share a picture of one of my special places for our Haasselkus discussion: the little oasis in Caldwell, ID where I grew up.

    One place that personally holds a lot of experiences and memories is my childhood home. I shared this with my LTD group as we discussed this topic, but my parents recently put our super awesome home/land (bias warning) up for sale this week and I have been feeling a roller coaster of emotions.  I would consider this a gradual build of space to place; I lived there from ages 2-21 so I have a substantial amount of memories throughout very influential times in my life.  I found out Santa wasn't real in the living room sleeping by the tree on Christmas Eve, my siblings and I explored, played, and fought till we couldn't anymore, I threw my first and only house party, and so much more.  It's a house and part of the world I will always remember and hold close as we pass it on to another family to grow up in.

    Unfortunately, I can't say I have as much love for where I am living now, so I am not 100% sure if the development of space to place is completely relevant to my current situation and new occupation. My kitchen is tiny and I don't have a dishwasher, but this is really just me complaining so let's move on.  I do enjoy my experiences cooking in my current place, but I don't have a huge attachment knowing I won't live here forever. This is kind of an interesting point though in the space & place discussion that I hadn't thought of; as much as we assign meaning to places, it's also easier to not attach as much when it is not permanent or an ideal situation.


Comments

  1. Hey Libby, I totally get where your coming from about moving because my family is also selling our house and moving somewhere else! It is so hard to let go when you have years and years of memory and meaning in that one place, and it's really hard to accept a new space as your space. What are some things you do to make your apartment or wherever you live homey? Also, breakfast burritos are amazing so all things considered, I think you made the right call!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, I'm glad I'm not the only one going through this struggle right now, but I know its just part of our transition into our own adult life. It's taken me a long time, but I am finally getting enough furniture, art, and personal little touches around this place to make it feel like my space. I have a couple houseplants that have survived the pandemic and so I have a little "green vibe" in a room with lots of windows where I do my homework and that is my happy place.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 12: Fats & The Future

Week 10: Nachos & Nibbles

Week 2: Getting into the groove