Week 12: Fats & The Future

    I have learned a lot about my body this semester through my new occupation, mainly that my digestive system is a lot happier without meat.  This makes sense since I don't have a gallbladder holding bile to break down fats and most meats are fairly fatty or fried and super greasy.  With all this information, I have decided to continue my pescatarian lifestyle moving forward.  I will obviously have occasional cravings and will definitely not ever deny myself any meat that sounds good on a certain day, but I really think that this a good and easy choice to keep my health balanced, especially through grad school.  For example, I ate a little ham on Thanksgiving (sorry, but we aren't a turkey family) because I had been craving it and it wasn't too much for my system to handle.

      It has been a while since we read it, but I was reminded this week how much I learned from Hasselkus' text.  Specifically, the space vs. place chapter taught me a lot about the creation and importance of meaning, as well as how to apply that concept to occupational therapy practice and it still one of the topics I remember most.  I also think that Christiansen's article covering occupation as identity was one of the best articles we read in terms of being straightforward, applicable, memorable, and interesting. 
 
    My recommendation for future MOT students selecting a new occupation would be to consider something they have been thinking about starting for a while and just need a push to get started.  This is an opportunity to have structure and accountability that can facilitate to the adoption of an occupation. Another piece of advice is to be really honest with yourself if you can realistically see yourself doing this occupation for multiple months and be able to put effort into it.  It may be fun to try something super cool and interesting, but it has to be able to fit into your existing life, schedule, environment, etc. 

Comments

  1. Libby! You are a hero! And I am so glad you are feeling better as you eat less meat. It always feels good to feel good:) What about the Christiansen article really struck you? I kind of forgot about that one, so I am interested to hear your thoughts. Great advice-I wish you would have given me that at the beginning of the semester;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molly,
      I really connected with Christiansen's basic concept that the daily activities we do should be meaningful to our identity our creation of our identity and vice versa. He also brought up the topic of possible self and pursuing our goals which I really thought was helpful.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 10: Nachos & Nibbles

Week 2: Getting into the groove